Advanced Technical Surveillance Countermeasures
“I thought all bug sweeps were basically the same. What is Advanced TSCM?”
The three basic levels of electronic surveillance detection:
1. Simple bug sweep. A simple bug sweep is a cursory look-see for obvious electronic surveillance devices. (conducted d-i-y or by a “knowledgeable” acquaintance) As you can tell by these links, this doesn’t require much skill, knowledge or instrumentation. So, a simple bug sweep will leave behind a false sense of security; much worse than a healthy sense of caution.
2. Basic Technical Surveillance Countermeasures (TSCM) sweep. This inspection is more detailed than a simple bug sweep, conducted by “professionals” whose sole focus is finding bugs. While this might appear to be the point of the exercise, the logic is flawed. Information is lost in many more ways than just electronic surveillance.
3. Advanced Technical Surveillance Countermeasures survey. Conducted by a professional information security consultant, this method seeks all the ways information, conversations and personal privacy are at risk. It is a holistic approach to information security. It is doing the job right, and provides 360º protection.
So, when our clients say… “Check the place for bugs and taps,” we automatically hear… “Keep my information and conversations secure, now and in the future, no matter what methods are being used to against me.” Simple bug sweeps and old style TSCM can’t do this. Advanced TSCM does.
Murray Associates conducts advanced TSCM. The best part, doing it the right way hardly changes the price, and greatly increases effectiveness.
Advanced TSCM vs. the Bug-Centric Mindset
Maximum information security protection and personal privacy is obtained if and only if the TSCM inspection is implemented holistically.
Simple “bug sweeps” and traditional TSCM may be fine for matrimonial and nosy neighbor problems, but corporate privacy protection is a multifaceted process. Executed correctly, you gain a protective envelope – ensuring your intellectual property and privacy stays safe and intact. Simple bug sweeps don’t do this.
Advanced TSCM considers the following:
- audio bugs / video bugs / data eavesdropping bugs,
- optical surveillance,
- networking issues,
- teleconferencing wiretaps and vulnerabilities,
- boardroom audiovisual equipment compromises,
- covert video voyeurism in expectation of privacy areas,
- Wi-Fi hacks, vulnerabilities, security and compliance,
- non-electronic information security vulnerabilities,
- outdated and decaying security hardware,
- missing, ineffective or lax information security procedures,
- poor employee implementation of existing security policies,
- abuse of vulnerabilities of everyday office technologies,
- architectural shortcomings which promote information loss,
- maintaining legal status for your business and trade secrets in court,
- your future plans, which might change the security landscape,
- and additional considerations unique to your organization.
Anything less is a security mental Band-Aid that masks vulnerabilities instead of solving them.
Typically, technical surveillance surveys are conducted quarterly or biannually by corporations. In critical cases, they are conducted more often, depending on an organization’s immediate needs and concerns.
Murray Associates Advanced TSCM is a comprehensive inspection methodology that includes the items described above; customized to address individual needs and issues.
No two businesses or individuals are the same. We create a plan that fits the needs, and dovetails with your business or privacy goals. We collaborate with you to develop your counterespionage strategy rather than “upsell” services that aren’t fruitful.
Your information security, eavesdropping, and privacy concerns can be solved, using our combination of:
Electronic Surveillance Detection (To detect illegal audio, video and data surveillance.)
Information Security Analysis (Verification of current security procedures, with enhancement recommendations.)
Physical Security Survey, to amplify the effectiveness of the first two items above.
Planning Your Protection Strategy
Keeping conversations safe from eavesdropping, and intellectual property safe from theft requires a counterespionage strategy. Developing a protection strategy is not difficult, but it does take some thought and experienced guidance. Without this help, the strategy can easily become flawed and expensive.
We will help you create a serious, well-planned protection strategy.
The best part… your protection will be very cost-effective. Just ask us. Our help with this is free, and there is no obligation for you.
Advanced TSCM by Murray Associates
A standard corporate practice
because you don’t want to be a target.
Proactive Wi-Fi Cyber Espionage
- Wi-Fi Security & Compliance Audits
- Whole building / floor security audits
- Compliance surveys (HIPAA, GLBA, Sarbanes-Oxley, PCI-DSS, FISMA, DoD 8100.2, ISO 27001, Basel II)
Have a Question About TSCM?
If you have any questions about the TSCM services provided by Murray Associates, simply fill out the form below, or call us from a safe area and phone. If you think you are under active electronic surveillance, or believe you have discovered a bug or covert video camera, go to our Emergency TSCM page. The procedural checklist there will tell you exactly what you need to do next.